Sunday, June 7, 2009

Red Carpet Runway Backdrop under $40

For my little sisters Masquerade Theme Quince the souvenirs were Photo Key chains and for the photo, we wanted a red carpet look. It turns out that it's very expensive to have those backdrops made, so I made it myself !
Create your own red carpet event look, with your own homemade Red Carpet Backdrop!
this would've cost about $400.00 to get made, but it only cost me less than $40 (Stencil $3, Spray Paint $13, Fabric $22) and 4hours to make it myself.
My first one, not perfect but yours and my next one will be .
1. Create a Stencil for your repeated image.
a. buy stencil sheets
b. with a thin perment marker trace your design onto the stencil
(remember, when creating your own stencil that there can't be any closed circles like in the letters o,a,P,e,d,B ect. look at an already made stencil to guide you)
c. use an exacto knife to cut out your stencil
2. Backdrop Material
a. I used Fabric because my mom wanted it as a keepsake...
Muslin Fabric is what is usually used for photography backdrops because it's cheap, but if you find another type of fabric for a better price and wide enough feel free to use it. Buy the widest you can find at least 60" to prevent seamed sections.
b. if you don't have a red carpet handy, no problem! Look for a roll of red fabric I found it for $1 a yard
3. Line up & Paint
a. find a large enough work area to spread out the fabric
b. then, before stenciling figure-out how you're going to layout your stencil straight and keep the distance from each even. Not to hard, especially if you're using more than one stencil in your pattern.
c. now, here's where I made the mistake,I thought it would be faster & easier to use spray paint (very very messy! not faster! I should've listen to mom :-D)
mom recommends using a stencil brush and acrylic paint less mess, it's cheap, and you don't need a mask or have to go outside.
Good Luck!
Feel free to contact me with questions.
I also used this technique to make monograms on the chairs & table clothe runners

http://www.maritzamcintosh.bravehost.com/

4 comments:

  1. Very nice post.Red is a romantic and pretty color.So the people prefer red carpet for high profile events such as awards nights and celebrity parties because of the large amounts of photographs taken. Thanks to share this great information.

    Red Carpet Backdrop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the red carpet from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would ask around at Carpet Stores for any red scraps they have.

      Delete
  3. What is muslin fabric and what kind did u buy?canvas?

    ReplyDelete